Coronavirus (COVID-19) - General Advice

WDCAB appreciate that people face uncertainty due to the COVID-19 outbreak and have a need for reliable information.

Often there is a lot of well-intentioned but misleading stories and advice that circulate - It can be difficult to know which advice to follow. Information is changing quickly and the sites below should be updated with the latest information


Additional and Crisis Support

West Dunbartonshire Council can provide some assistance where people have no support network and a who are self-isolating, aged over 70, have been medically advised they are high risk or vulnerable, or single parents - Visit their dedicated webpage to find out about and ask for assistance. 

West Dunbartonshire Community Foodshare will now be providing food parcels by delivery only (call 01389 764135 to request assistance). They will provide updates of their services through their Facebook page.


General Information and daily updates

The UK Government are publishing the latest updates online  -This information is updated regularly as the situation changes. 

The UK government are also issuing daily updates and statements, which will be reported on the television, radio and in the newspapers for those who are not able to go online.

The Scottish government are updating their website at 2pm every day regarding the situation in Scotland.
There are also announcements on social media and via television, radio and the newspapers.


Health Information

Online information
If you are worried that you, a family member or a friend may have symptoms, or are not certain what action you should be taking, visit NHS Inform Scotland  - This site gives information regarding the symptoms (such as a high temperature or cough and advises) and what to do if you think you are displaying signs of COVID-19

Telephone information
NHS inform has a free helpline for general advice: 0800 028 2816. The helpline is open every day, 8am to 10pm.

Age Scotland has a free helpline for older people, their carers and families: 0800 124 4222 .The helpline is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


Social Distancing or Self isolation?

The Government announced a strategy of social distancing in tandem with self- isolation for households and individuals showing symptoms related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). 

When should people be using social distancing and self- isolation and how do you do this?

Social distancing involves measures such as not shaking hands, not going to busy places, working from home and keeping a physical distance between yourself and other people.

Self-isolation is when you or a household member are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and are advised to remain in your home and not go out in public.

The latest social distancing advice for the public and vulnerable people

The latest advice if you have to stay at home / self-isolate with symptoms of COVID-19 (Coronavirus). This guidance is also available in languages other than English


Overseas visitors and COVID-19
Overseas visitors to Scotland, regardless of their residency status, are exempt from NHS charges for both the diagnosis and treatment of coronavirus (COVID-19). You can read further information if you are concerned by clicking the following links:

Healthcare for overseas visitors

Healthcare for refugees and asylum seekers

Help us to continue our work

Each Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland is a registered charity and raises its own funds, please contact us to find out how you can make a donation. Alternatively you can make a donation to Citizens Advice Scotland to help us support bureaux to give quality advice, deliver vital services like the Citizens Advice Consumer Service and carry out campaigning and influencing work so that those in power change things for the better.