Contact Us

General Enquiries


If you've not been able to find the information you need at our Advice page, or your enquiry is more complex, you may wish to contact us for guidance.


To speak with one of our advisers, you can either:


  • Call us on Freephone 0800 484 0136 (Mon-Thu 8:30am - 4:30pm, Fri 8:30am-3pm
  • Send us a message using the form below (we aim to get back to you within 48 hours)
  • Our LiveChat service


Please Note:

Due to funding restrictions we can only offer advice and assistance to West Dunbartonshire residents - if you live outwith the West Dunbartonshire area you will have to refer you to your local advise services.
Changes in our opening times, icluding holiday closures, are displayed in our News & Publications section.
If you work for an organisation and wish to refer a client to WDCAB, please use Referrals section instead of this page. 



Send Us a Message


In order to help you, we need to keep a record of your enquiry. General Data Protection Regulations require that we obtain your express consent in order to record your details (including, but not limited to, your name, address, date of birth and full details of your enquiries).

Sensitive personal data is defined as information relating to any of the following: Race & ethnic origin; political opinions; religious beliefs; trade union membership; health & disabilities; sexual orientation; offenses or criminal records.

This information will be stored securely and will not be shared with any third party without your explicit consent.

If you work an organisation and are looking to refer a client to West Dunbartonshire Citizens Advice Bureau (including for assistance as part of a project), please use the Referrals section instead

Help us to continue our work

Each Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland is a registered charity and raises its own funds, please contact us to find out how you can make a donation. Alternatively you can make a donation to Citizens Advice Scotland to help us support bureaux to give quality advice, deliver vital services like the Citizens Advice Consumer Service and carry out campaigning and influencing work so that those in power change things for the better.